RE: noise at Monster

To: <charlescox@coastalbay.com>, "'Dennis Clark'" <d-clark@pacbell.net>,
Subject: RE: noise at Monster
From: "Donald McKenna" <donbarbmckenna@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 19:39:55 -0700
Charles writes, in part:

> Don,
>
> Where (I) would take exception, is in allowing Dennis to run even once
>with a
> car that is ineligible should not be allowed.

In paragraph 1.1 (page 12) of the '06 rules, paragraph 3.5 (Mufflers) is not
listed as mandatory for all Solo events and, as such, is not, necessarily,
applicable to our Regional events.

Additionally, I think any vehicle, running SFR events, meets the intent of
the term "adequately muffled", as stated in paragraph 3.1 (page 24), if it
does not exceed a measured sound level of 95dba@100'. By our regional
definition of allowable sound levels, that vehicle IS "adequately muffled".

Therefore, I conclude, and especially since we have a more specific,
objective and results-oriented sound control policy as part of our
supplemental regulations, that a muffler(s) is not a mandatory piece(s) of
equipment required at our SFR events.

Everyone should remember that, unlike the ambiguous and non-specific wording
of the National rule book, which has been essentially the same for at least
20 years (according to my copy of the '86 rules), our sound level control
process is objective (and BTW, not punishment) and attempts to accomplish an
important SFR goal, to demonstrate that we care about our "neighbors" and
have a disciplined process for demonstrating that care.. The
definition/identification of the techniques/hardware required to reach that
goal is left to each participant.

As an aside, it's really instructive to see how effectively the folks at the
San Diego Tour site (Qualcom Stadium) obtain compliance with their objective
but, very stringent, sound limit (their 93dba@50' limit is roughly
equivalent to 87dba@100' while our SFR self-imposed limit is a much more
liberal 95dba@100'). Although it's really stressful and difficult for some
competitors to achieve compliance with such a stringent limit, only a few
runs and fewer entrants are disqualified over sound violations each year.

I think it might be about time, as all regions are struggling to
retain/obtain sites, for the National rules makers to institute an objective
sound limit policy, effective for ALL (not just National/Divisional)
regional sanctioned events, in an effort to demonstrate to all communities
that WE ARE responsible citizens. In the past the availability and cost of
monitoring equipment may have been an excuse for continuing with an
ambiguous and non-objective National position on sound policy but, today, as
important as the issue of site acquisition/retention has become, that cost
has become "affordable" in the interest of preserving our sport.

                Don