RE: The Oakland front lot experiment...

To: "'Joe Weinstein'" <joe.weinstein@gmail.com>,
Subject: RE: The Oakland front lot experiment...
From: "Ed Runnion" <ed_runnion@regionofdoom.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 09:09:49 -0700
> I vote for never using that front lot again. It was spotlessly clean
>at the start, but the strength of the binding of it's slurry coat
>is so low that It took several miles of street driving and street
> turns to scrape off the bulk of the gravel that we'd pulled up that
>stuck to my Hoosiers.

Some perspective/clarification...

1. Front or "back" (i.e. our normal) lot has nothing to do with it.   The
back lot was just slurry coated as well (or rather, is in process of being
done, thus why we didn't run there).   A "long time ago" (ok, 6-7 years ago
:)) we used to run on the front lot quite often and it was the same
(relatively) as the back lot as far as traction.

2. When I first moved here (almost 8 years ago), they slurry-coated the lots
right after that at the Coliseum.   When they did so, it was a few months of
"crappiness" and the lot then came back to what we normally expect if not
slightly better than what the back lot was as of 2 months ago.   It's gonna
just take time/weather to clean the lot off.   In other words, the
conditions yesterday were not exactly a surprise ;)

I am not sure how many (if any) slush events are being set up for the
Coliseum at this point.   However I can pretty confidently say that if we
run Boondoggle 2007 there (on either front OR back lot) at the Coliseum, the
conditions will be vastly different than they were yesterday.

Ed