Re: Design an autocross/street sleeper for fun...

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Design an autocross/street sleeper for fun...
From: Ed Runnion <ed_runnion@regionofdoom.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 16:44:53 -0800
> Your restriction of the Corvette driveline narrows it down considerably.
> I'd probably start with an Impala SS (post-smog) or Nova (pre-smog), see
> how much weight I could strip out, and go from there.

FWIW, a friend who drag races on the east coast has a 94-96 Caprice 9C1 (cop
car, same as 94-96 Impala SS mechanically and body-wise) down to about 3200
lbs (stock is 4100).   Externally the body panels are still stock-shaped.
It'd explode into about a billion parts if it got in an accident though (ALL
bracing underneath is gone, and doors/trunk/hood are gutted internally), and
definitely would NOT be kind to any people who happen to be riding inside at
the time :).

I do think you could get one down in "handling/autocross" form though to
close 3400-ish with a C5 chassis (stretched) underneath it.    So basically
C5 weight, C5 suspension, but on a wheelbase about a dozen inches or so
longer.   I suspect it would be a bit of a sleeper :)

It'd likely also take some cubic $$$ to pull it off :)

Ed