Re: ba-autox-digest V1 #1908

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: ba-autox-digest V1 #1908
From: "Joe Weinstein" <joe.weinstein@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 21:35:17 -0700
> Joe-
>
> How are you going to do it?  Put Yokohama Advans and Hoosiers on a  test car,
> on a test track, with a group of test drivers?  And then it's  track
> dependent, or car dependent...  -OR-  Just take a SWAG at it, so  that
>drivers in 2
> classes can feel better about their times?

I would come to a street-tire-to-R-compound factor, perhaps  by comparing
the cars in the stock classes to the ones in the stock street tire classes.
*Every* pax factor and every SCCA *class* is an approximation, made in an
earnest attempt to normalize and approximately balance the mechanical
advantages.

In general, do you like or disdain the idea of making people feel better
legitimately? And do you have any predisposition besides inertia  *not*
to want to make PAX comparisons realistic for two of the most popular
classes in the region, whose participation comprised over 10% of the last
event's competitors, or for leaving the obvious incorrectness of comparing
two cars as identical when one runs R-compounds and one runs real street
tires?

With a positive attitude, a workable algorithm is probably easy to come up with.
Comparing stock street tire with the R-compound stock classes is one way.
Some other regions and some other autocross series have their own street-to-R
factors. It has been done. How do you compare a Subaru to a Lotus anyway?
Why by PAX of course? But that would be course and car dependent? And why
have PAX anyway, if not to make the Subaru driver feel better? So, who do you
want to make feel better, and why? Who don't you, and why not?

Joe (who would dearly like to feel better about himself ;) )