Rotax nationals update

To: Vern Head <vlhead@pacbell.net>, Scott Miller <smiller@bart.gov>,
Subject: Rotax nationals update
From: Peter Mottaz <mph_16@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 21:31:24 -0700
Well, I must say this has so far been quite an experience. First time
experiencing parc ferme. The high altitude has been a challenge to get the
carburetion correct. The mechanic (me) rebuilt the carb incorrectly yesterday,
which we didn't discover until we tried to start it for the 1st practice
session. Doh! So we missed that session. Also, yesterday I striped the bolt
head of the bolt that cinches the brake rotor on the axle (well in all
fairness our 5mm T handle allen is a tad worn - time to replace that). We had
to change the axle so we had to get the rotor/hub assembly fixed in order to
do so. The easy out - wasn't, and snapped off in the hole - of course. So had
to cut the bolt in half, which means having buy a new rotor hub. So basically
the whole day went like that. Final session of the day determined the
groupings for qualifying, right now he is sitting in 26th out of 54. He did a
course walk (you all are familiar with that) with the team director so
hopefully that'll translate into a good qualifying run tomorrow morning.

I still have to remind myself that this is our first time doing this at this
level and Jake has only been at this for a short time compared to the majority
of the juniors who've been racing karts since they were 5 or so. On top of
that, just about everyone of the drivers have pro-tuners and mechanics with
them - poor Jake has me. We do get advice but I'm finding that is not the
same. Anyway, it's been difficult to keep a positive attitude being so
outgunned. Thankfully, Jake is having a great time and that is what really
counts after all.

Man I'm beat!

Regards,

Pete