"World's Fastest Indian" now playing in Salt Lake

To: <bmcu@autox.team.net>
Subject: "World's Fastest Indian" now playing in Salt Lake
From: "Ron Christensen" <ron.christensen@wsapr.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 17:47:03 -0700
The movie "World's Fastest Indian", starring Anthony Hopkins, has opened at
several theaters around town.  In case you haven't heard about the film it
is about a motorcycle racer from New Zealand, Burt Munro who came to
Bonneville in 1962 to run his streamlined Indian in quest of many motorcycle
speed records.  This film chronicles his adventures on his first trip.
Yours truly was involved with the making of the movie as the "Bonneville
Technical Advisor" working several months with the director, Roger Donaldson
(The Bounty, No Way Out, The Recruit, The Getaway, etc, etc.) on sets,
props, costuming, and even script and had the fortunate or unfortunate (not
sure which) opportunity to appear as an extra in several scenes.  I hope
everyone will check out the movie.  It is quite entertaining and, if you saw
the ad for the film in last Friday's paper, has received great reviews.  It
has been playing in New Zealand for several months and is the third largest
grossing film in that country!  Half of the film (except the scenes from New
Zealand) was shot in Utah at Bonneville, south of Tooele and in Salt Lake.
A DVD will be released in the future that should contain a documentary about
the making of the film which should be as entertaining as the film itself.

There aren't very many films about racing out there, especially the type
that enthusiasts like us find worthwhile.  I got involved in this picture
because it was an opportunity to finally see a real racing story presented
in a realistic and believable way.  This is the first feature movie that
uses Bonneville racing as its main storyline.  I grew up in Wendover and was
there on the salt during the year this movie depicts.  Much of the set and
the costuming for the film was designed from my recollections and from
personal photos I took of Speedweek in the 50s and 60s.  Even the T-shirts
seen in the film were made from originals which I collected during those
years.  As an extra I wore an original pith helmet from the 50s decorated
with decals applied back then which I wore at those events.

I made an album of photos I took during the filming which I will bring to
the Pot Luck on the 18th if anyone is interested.  I hope you all get a
chance to see the film before then.

Ron Christensen

PS:  Included in the cars appearing on screen are two from our club . . .
Roger Gisseman's Red LeMans MGB and [if you look really closely] my green
and yellow Sebring-nosed Sprite