Re: [Bmcu] TR3 Oil

To: William Beecher <wbeech@flash.net>
Subject: Re: [Bmcu] TR3 Oil
From: Jeff Greenland <jeff@utahlotusclub.com>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 16:21:36 -0600
I'm certainly not an expert on oils, but from what I do know, I'd stick
with the straight weights.  The smaller number is how "thin" the oil
gets when it's at operating temperature.  So, in your case, it sounds
like your engine might have been designed to work off the heavier oils
that stay heavy when they're hot.  When it gets thin, it's easier for it
to squeeze past your rings and valves.  That, of course, means you're
burning more oil, creating more carbon deposits, and then picking up
contaminants from your combustion chamber and dripping them back into
your oil pan (to be circulated all over again).  In addition, as your
engine gets older and more worn out, the clearances in your engine parts
start to increase, making it easier for the oil to start squeezing past.

Again, I'm not an expert, so take that with a grain of salt.  That's
just the way I understand it.

Best of luck though!

Jeff