Re: [Bmcu] TR6 pinion seal

To: bmcu <bmcu@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Bmcu] TR6 pinion seal
From: Mark J Bradakis <mark@bradakis.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 00:07:16 -0600
Oddly enough I actually took a look at some of my parts.  Sad to say I have
a couple of the earlier seals used on the TR2-4 range.  I seem to recall
that they
are the same dimensions as TR6, but they use a a leather disk as the
seal, not a
more modern synthetic rubber seal like the TR4A - 6 cars.

It should be fairly simple to change the seal in your car.  As I recall
the '72 uses
the solid pinion spacer, not the  one use collapsible.  You undo the
driveshaft,
use the impact to undo the nut holding the flange to the pinion shaft.
The nut
may be a nylon locking nut, or it may be a castellated nut with a cotter
pin.

Once the nut is off, pull the flange from the diff.  Using various tools
and mostly
rude language extract the old seal.  Drive in the new seal, reassemble.
With a
solid spacer no need to worry about overdoing the torque.  If a nyloc
nut, replace it
if it seems to go on too easily.  If a castellated nut, make sure you
get a cotter pin
in it.  I remember one evening out at Bonneville Raceway ( before it was
named
RMR ) when we were doing laps and I had the Rust Rocket.  I had just put
a  4.1
 axle in to replace the 3.7, and failed to check if the 4.1 assembly I
got from some
fellow had a cotter pin in place....

Anyway, if you don't have an appropriate sized socket or a pneumatic
impact wrench
or the exhaust is system is really in the way, you may want to take it
so some place
like Bailey's [ shameless plug ] and let someone else shred their knuckles.

mjb.