Re: [Bmcu] FW: They aren't going to try to total my '78!

To: bmcu@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Bmcu] FW: They aren't going to try to total my '78!
From: "Andrew B. Lundgren" <lundgren@byu.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 20:07:39 -0600
--===============0461600036==
 boundary="------------000805010202020200070105"

--------------000805010202020200070105

There are instructions out there, and a kit from moss.  It requires some
welding and paint.  While I can weld, I haven't had much practice since
my highschool shop classes...  I wouldn't want to take a torch to my B!
And I have no experience with painting and body work.  I spoke with the
shop in Colorado.  Most of the work has do be done on the front end of
the car, the part of mine that isn't damaged...  All of the work goes
for about $2500, and then comes any needed body work and paint...

As there is paint work required at both ends, if I don't do the whole
car, there will be blend marks.  I am a bit bummed about that.  Painting
the entire car right runs in the 11,000-18,000 range.

I am not looking for a concourse car though, and that much for me on a B
is out of the question, so I have some $ choices to make. I might end up
with a rubber bumper car at the end of this yet...

--
Andrew

On 6/14/2013 3:20 AM, Barry Engstrum wrote:
> I would think that there are step by step instructions on the
> internet.  There might be a You tube video on how to make the change.
> It can't be that hard, you might need the attaching hardware and it
> could be just a bolt-up.  I'm sure that you would get a lot of help
> from club members.  I can't help for 2 weeks.
> BarryE  -  -  In Beijing China.

> Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 20:04:53 -0600
> From: andrew.lindeman@gmail.com
> To: bmcu@autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: [Bmcu] FW: They aren't going to try to total my '78!
>
> Hopefully you don't have to haul the car out here to Colorado just for
> a bumper.  However, I have never come across a finer shop than
> Sportscar Craftsmen.  They are a fantastic shop and a great resource
> for hard to find parts as well.
>
> Andy L.
>

> On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 4:17 PM, R J DAVIS <rogerdavis87@msn.com
>
>     Ooops... I replied only to Andrew and meant to send this to the
>     Club as well.

>     Subject: RE: [Bmcu] They aren't going to try to total my '78!
>     Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 16:15:37 -0600
>
>     Good news, Andrew.  Perhaps someone in the club who has done this
>     conversion can help you, rather than hauling it 1000 miles.
>
>     How about it, guys.  Anyone done this conversion or know who can
>     do it locally?
>
>     Roger D
>
>     > Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 13:25:40 -0600
>     > Subject: [Bmcu] They aren't going to try to total my '78!
>
>     >
>     > Got the good news back.
>     >
>     > The damage appraisal doesn't exceed the replacement cost. Now I
>     need to
>     > decide if I want to restore it and spend the ~$1000 on a new
>     rear rubber
>     > bumper or spend the same $1000 on a chrome kit and direct the
>     repair
>     > shop to convert it to a chrome bumper car...
>     >
>     > I haven't come across a shop in UT that has done the chrome bumper
>     > conversion though. I am considering hauling it back to Colorado (my
>     > home until 2 years ago) and have http://sportscarcraftsmen.com/
>     do the work.
>     >
>     > Either way, it will be on the road again! CHEER!
>     >
>     > --
>     > Andrew
>     > Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>     > Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
>     > Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>     > Unsubscribe/Manage:
>     http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/bmcu/rogerdavis87@msn.com
>     <http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/bmcu/rogerdavis87%40msn.com>

--------------000805010202020200070105

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
      kit from moss.&nbsp; It requires some welding and paint.&nbsp; While I can
      weld, I haven't had much practice since my highschool shop
      classes...&nbsp; I wouldn't want to take a torch to my B!&nbsp; And I have
      no experience with painting and body work.&nbsp; I spoke with the shop
      in Colorado.&nbsp; Most of the work has do be done on the front end of
      the car, the part of mine that isn't damaged...&nbsp; All of the work
      goes for about $2500, and then comes any needed body work and
      paint...&nbsp; <br>
      As there is paint work required at both ends, if I don't do the
      whole car, there will be blend marks.&nbsp; I am a bit bummed about
      that.&nbsp; Painting the entire car right runs in the 11,000-18,000
      range.&nbsp; <br>
      I am not looking for a concourse car though, and that much for me
      on a B is out of the question, so I have some $ choices to make.&nbsp;
      I might end up with a rubber bumper car at the end of this yet...<br>
      --<br>
      Andrew<br>
      On 6/14/2013 3:20 AM, Barry Engstrum wrote:<br>
      type="cite">
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px;
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 12pt;
font-family:Calibri
}
--></style>
        instructions on the internet.&nbsp; There&nbsp;might be a You tube video
        on how to make the change.&nbsp; It can't be that hard, you might
        need the attaching&nbsp;hardware and it could be just a bolt-up.&nbsp;
I'm
        sure that&nbsp;you would&nbsp;get a lot of help from club
members.&nbsp;&nbsp;I
        can't help for 2 weeks.<br>
        BarryE&nbsp; -&nbsp; -&nbsp; In Beijing China.<br>
        &nbsp;<br>
          <hr id="stopSpelling">