Re: [Bmcu] MG TD

To: GORDON G FLITTON <ggflitton@msn.com>
Subject: Re: [Bmcu] MG TD
From: Jonathan Hermance <jhermance@earthfax.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 15:34:51 -0600 (MDT)
Cc: bmcu@autox.team.net

------=_Part_10517215_739963281.1372282491544

Gordon,
Many TD brake drums have been turned too many times. To my knowledge new re=
placement TD drums are not available. Converting to TF wire wheels and brak=
e drums (which are available new from MOSS et al) is a pricey option. My TD=
 drums are serviceable. With new brake shoes I have six or seven clicks bef=
ore the shoes bind on the drums to be backed off one click. This means I wi=
ll prematurely run out of brake adjustment before my brake shoes have a who=
le lot of wear on them.
=20
My TC drums had been turned too far for me to have any appreciable adjustme=
nt with new brake shoes. I took the car to Page Brake( who are now located =
out west of Salt Lake City on 3760 West Commons Lane, 13th-ish(?) South) an=
d had Page apply extra thick linings to my brake shoes. This seemed to be a=
 fair option because the drums did not appear to have been turned so far th=
ey would distort under hard braking or be particularly susceptible to warpi=
ng. On my TF which has an MGA rear axle and brakes under it, I had MOSS par=
t number 180-140 (item 61 on page 25 of their 2013 spring/summer catalog) m=
odified by welding a 1/8 " thick piece of metal to the brake shoe adjuster =
mask. This extra I/8" gave me the brake adjustment I needed for this partic=
ular rear-end conversion that involved combining T-Series and MGA component=
s. So, if you feel your drums have enough meat left on them you might consi=
der trying brand new brake shoes, or new custom thicker linings on your exi=
sting brake shoes, or modifying your brake shoe adjuster masks.
=20
Jon
=20
TC,TD, TF =20
801-583-5846

----- Original Message -----From: GORDON G FLITTON <ggflitton@msn.com>To: b=
mcu@autox.team.netSent: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 14:10:29 -0600 (MDT)Subject: [Bmcu=
] MG TD

Problem:  I have adjusted my rear brakes all the way out but the brake shoe=
s need to move out further so they rub and I can backed them off one notch.=
  The shoes have plenty of material left.  Question:  Have the brake drums =
been turned to many times.  I bought the car a few months ago so I don't ha=
ve access to the repair history.=20

Thanks for your help, Gordon Flitton801-834-1289 - Gordon's Cell

------=_Part_10517215_739963281.1372282491544

ew replacement TD drums&nbsp;are not available. Converting to TF wire wheel=
s and brake drums (which are available new from MOSS et al)&nbsp;is a price=
y option. My TD drums are serviceable. With new brake&nbsp;shoes I have six=
 or seven clicks before&nbsp;the shoes bind on&nbsp;the drums&nbsp;to be&nb=
sp;backed off one click. This means I will prematurely run out of brake adj=
ustment&nbsp;before my brake shoes have&nbsp;a whole lot of wear on them.</=
div>
e adjustment with new brake shoes. I took the car to Page Brake( who are no=
w located out west of Salt Lake&nbsp;City&nbsp;on 3760 West Commons Lane, 1=
3th-ish(?) South)&nbsp;and had Page apply&nbsp;extra thick linings&nbsp;to =
my brake shoes. This seemed to be&nbsp;a fair option&nbsp;because the drums=
 did not appear to&nbsp;have been turned so far they would distort under ha=
rd braking or be particularly susceptible to warping. On&nbsp;my TF&nbsp;wh=
ich has an MGA rear&nbsp;axle and brakes under it, I&nbsp;had MOSS part num=
ber 180-140 (item 61 on page 25 of their 2013 spring/summer&nbsp;catalog) m=
odified by welding a 1/8 " thick piece of metal to the brake shoe&nbsp;adju=
ster mask. This extra I/8" gave me the brake adjustment I needed for this p=
articular rear-end conversion&nbsp;that involved&nbsp;combining&nbsp;T-Seri=
es and MGA components. So, if you feel&nbsp;your drums have enough meat lef=
t on them you might consider trying brand&nbsp;new brake shoes, or new&nbsp=
;custom&nbsp;thicker linings on your existing brake shoes,&nbsp;or&nbsp;mod=
ifying your&nbsp;brake shoe adjuster masks.</div>
@msn.com&gt;<br />To: bmcu@autox.team.net<br />Sent: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 14:10=
:29 -0600 (MDT)<br />Subject: [Bmcu] MG TD</div>
out but the brake shoes need to move out further so they rub and I can back=
ed them off one notch.&nbsp; The shoes have plenty of material left.&nbsp; =
Question:&nbsp; Have the brake drums been turned to many times.&nbsp; I bou=
ght the car a few months ago so I don't have access to the repair history. =
89 - Gordon's Cell</div>
------=_Part_10517215_739963281.1372282491544--

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive