RE: Electric Fans and Oil Coolers

To: "Bricklin@autox.team.net" <Bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Electric Fans and Oil Coolers
From: Ron Auger <ron.auger@isc-br.isc-br.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 1997 09:51:05 -0400

On Wednesday, July 02, 1997 1:23 AM, Stephen J. Cramer
[SMTP:philobandb@earthlink.net] wrote:
> I own a 74 Brick with the 360 and 4 speed manual that I drive frequently
> here in Southern California on LA streets.  Overheating is a major problem.
> I pulled the mechanical fan to improve performance and installed two side
> by side electrical fans to pull air through the radiator.  I set the
> thermostat to turn the fans on at 180?.  The results were marginally
> better.  I'm a cool engine freak and don't like to see the temp go over
> 220?.  In frustration I added a secondary oil cooler to the front of the
> radiator and in the process increased the oil capacity by another quart.
> It seems to have done the trick.  The engine temp will climb if I'm parked
> at a light in slow traffic but the minute the car moves, the temp drops
> down.
>
> If I had it to do all over again, I'd forget about the electric fans and go
> with the additional oil cooler.  In fact, I'm considering replacing the
> fan--going with a flex blade--and dumping the two electrics.
>
> Has anyone ever found a larger capacity radiator that fits in the beasts?
> Looks like that might be a possibility.
>
> FYI

I have a '75 Brick that I abmit I don't drive too much here in CT. I replaced
the radiator with one from a '68 Ford truck; that's what the radiator shop came
up with when they tried to match the original radiator I removed and brought
in. I flushed the block, replaced the thermostat and now the car never goes
over 180?.

Of course, it could be because alot of the heat is going into the cockpit ...

Ron Auger