Some questions regarding Air doors.

To: "Bricklin (E-mail)" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Some questions regarding Air doors.
From: "Olson, Scott" <scottolson@cascon.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 16:38:10 -0600
I am under the impression that there is one proper air door
implementation.  When speaking with Terry Tanner he mentioned that the
air door system that he provides has the compressor mounted in the
engine compartment and the air tank in the rear bumper.

My Air door system (that is currently leaking but does function) all
fits in the well behind the driver seat.  There is a steel plate mounted
to the well (grounded) with the air tank and valves attached to it.
Then there is a compressor just sitting in the well.  I am aware that
this isn't the most common installation and I am sure there are better
ways to do it, Here is what I want to know

Is there a possibility that the air door kit that everyone else uses is
just installed in the wrong place or do I have a different air door kit,
or is the one installed in my car an abomination.

Additional Questions:

If I was to design my own air door system (which is what may happen)

What capacity tank is necessary (The tank I have now looks like 1 liter
- rather small)
What pressure range is appropriate (I have heard 125-150 on-off pressure
control)

I imagine that I could buy the air door kit from Terry Tanner if all the
parts I ahve now are not sufficient.
Otherwise I wouldprefer to reuse as many of the parts as I have now.
Does anyone have pictures/specifications of the
system that Terry Tanner sells?

Sorry for the rambling,

Scott Olson  #466 (or #366) I can't remember

Ohhh  another problem.

When I start the car it fires up normally,  but then dies immediately if
I don't work the gas pedal.  It takes a good 5 minutes of massaging to
get the car to idle properly.  Then a few times now the car has died
while sitting at a stop light.  I would have to let the car sit for 20
minutes (or so) and it would start up again.  It almost seems like the
car is flooding itself when running, or something is overheating.  I
realize this has no specific connection with bricklin and is a general
AMC engine question, but any ideas?