Re: rust (again)

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: rust (again)
From: Jim Isbell <jisbelljr@mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 08:58:46 -0500
At 07:33 PM 5/13/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Greetings from PA,
>    So far, most discussions about rust have been about saving the
>chasis from the outside.  I was talking to members of the local Triumph
>sports car club, and they all swear about a product called wax/oil
>( I think ). Anyway, it comes in a garden type sprayer arrangement with
>hose and nozzles for protecting the inside of chasis box channels,
>doors, etc.   The phone number to order is 1-888-854-4081  and
> the cost is $54.95.  I intend to apply this to 2157 this winter,
>and POR-15 on the outside surfaces. BTW- Hey Riley, I too am going
>broke fixing up the brick- Great fun being one of the few, the proud,
>the Bricklin owners squad !

As the owner of a steel ketch I was concerned about the rust in the bilge.
There were some large flakes of rust that were 1/4" thick and I wondered
about the strength of the hull.  Then I found out that steel expands 16 to
1 when it rusts.  Those 1/4" flakes of rust represented 15 thousands of an
inch off of the total thickness of 187 thousands of steel.  That is less
than 10% of the steel gone in 20 years of operation.  I was worrying over
nothing.

Before you get all up tight, see how much steel you have left, it may
surprise you.
                                    Cheers,  Jim

"Better an outlaw than not free."  Nance Oneil

Low Tech Web page          http://www.angelfire.com/tx/MillenniumFalcon
 (need only web access, no pictures to download)
Medium Tech Web page       http://members.spree.com/Millennium
 (Need at least VGA and 28K modem or else its very slow)
High Tech Web Page         http://members.tripod.com/~Jim_Isbell
 (Should have fast modem, fast computer,SVGA, sound capability...etc.)