Rotary digression

To: delorean@usfamily.net
Subject: Rotary digression
From: GLCurley@aol.com
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 22:26:21 EST
> A car with multiple carbs and multiple barrels in the carburator is
>  mechanically and physically more powerful, BTW how do you put a carb in a
>  RX-7, It's a wankel rotary?

Not a problem at all.  There are either 4 or 6 intake ports in the end and
intermediate housings of the mazda engine, between the actual rotor housings.
 After 1985, all US engines were 6 port, "13B" engines.  The 13B has a little
bit more displacement due to longer rotor housings, which in and of itself
does not make a major power difference.  The 6 port models basically replaced
a single large port with a pair of smaller ports, for each rotor.  The
opening of the second smaller port under acceleration is controlled by
computer and the intake system, which came with fuel injection.  Bad news for
aftermarket intakes (although you can use a standard Weber, Mikuni, Dellorto
or other carb with the stock FI intake and computer).  The solution is to
build the engine with the older style but higher performance 4 port housings.
 I used dual side draft SU carburetors model HIF6, one carb per rotor.  These
are 1 bbl carbs, but very large--truck size, on a fairly simple custom intake
system using Mazda factory intake plate blanks.  Eamon Hurley in Coventry
England built the intake. It was not difficult to more than double the stock
hp with this intake setup and some mild porting, headers, and upgraded
exhaust.  It was still capable of over 20mpg on the highway.

George