engine woes

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: engine woes
From: Slvrcharm7@aol.com
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 00:15:53 EST
I have a slight problem with one of my cars.  It's a 91 BMW 4cyl, and it was
my daily driver.  I had some major fuel delivery problems, and I took it to
my mechanic.  When I got it back it ran well for a few days. Pretty soon it
began sounding like it was only hitting on 2 cylinders, it would still drive
though.  I checked all my connections changed the plugs.  That didnt fix the
problem.  After about a month, I realized that my mechanic had crossed the
#3and 4 plug wires at the coil.  I switched them back, and it still didnt run
right.  I proceeded to change the plugs and noticed oil all over the spark
plug of the # 4 cyl.  The spark plugs are recessed between the cams, and the
oil had traveled all the way up the insulator of the old plug.  I tried to
start it with the new plugs in and it sounded worse than it did with the
wires crossed. It made a terrible sound and would not run at all.  I switched
the wires back the wrong way and it ran.  What other damage could have
occurred with the wired crossed?  What should I do.  I know its not a
Bricklin, but I thought someone might have some insight to my problem.  Any
help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Stephen