RE: Bricklin Discharging

To: "David Dal Bianco" <david_dalbianco@yahoo.ca>,
Subject: RE: Bricklin Discharging
From: "Early, Stephen" <Stephen.Early@mbna.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 08:06:49 -0400
Dave,

It is not normal.  After starting the car or turning on the headlights you
should get a definite charge indication on the ammeter.  Here's a simple test.
With the car running and all electrical accessories turned off, put a volt
meter on the battery terminals.  You should get a reading in the range of 13.0v
to 14.8v.  Now turn the headlights on and check the reading.  It will be lower
than without headlights but should not be dropping below 13.0v.  My guess is
you will get a reading of below 13.0v.  There are a few possible causes.

Is the alternator belt in place and tight enough?  Are your battery connections
clean and tight?  If so the problem is most likely the alternator or the
regulator.  On my '74 the regulator is under the hood on the passenger fender
well near the fire wall.  If you have an old Chilton book (or equivalent) look
up and perform the simple test to determine if the problem is the regulator or
the alternator.  If not, the regulator is pretty easy and inexpensive to
replace.

If the problem is the alternator it is most likely bad diodes.  Typically, the
diodes fail slowly and not all at once.  Often, they act up when hot but then
behave normally when they cool down.  This will create a condition where the
alternator will charge the battery when the car is cold but as it gets hotter
it will stop working.  It can also create a condition where the alternator will
charge the battery very slowly (i.e. at a low voltage that is higher than
12.0v) when there is little load but as load increases the battery discharges.

It's fairly simple to replace the alternator.  If you want to save some money
or if you want to keep things original like I do, you can have the diodes
replaced.  That allows you to keep your alternator.  Replacing diodes is not
difficult if you are reasonably adept at electrical work and soldering.  If
not, an alternator shop can do it for you.  Diode packs run about $15.

Stephen I. Early
Technology Sector
MBNA America
800.441.7048 x74788