Re: cracking, spiderweb problem

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: cracking, spiderweb problem
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 18:00:34 -0400
At 07:55 AM 4/3/2006 -0500, Peter Voss wrote:

>       Hi there, I have an all original 75, but the previous owner must not
>have stored it right or this is a common problem. There are plastic acrylic
>cracks, spiderweb lookinging things. Now go easy on me because I'm new to
>this car. I have the safety sun tan color, is there a way to fix this
>problem, I dont think there is a bricklin paint matching expert out there.
>Should I leave the cracks alone and just except it? It's a such a well kept
>car except for these cracks!!

Peter,

The cracks are unfortunately a very real and common problem.  What do you
want the car for, driving or show?  How much do you want to pay to get the
cracks fixed?

If you want to drive the car, the cheapest and easiest way to fix them is
to grind the cracks in the acrylic open and down to the fiberglass.  Check
to see if the crack goes through the fiberglass.  If it does, the drill
a small hole at the end of the crack.

Then fill the area you cut out with dynaglass, a very short haired fiberglass
resin.  Sand smooth.  If necessary top coat with bondo for a little easier
workability, and possibly "Icing".  Then prime (with a water based primer)
to seal the acrylic.  Once sealed, you can paint what ever color you want,
or have the paint shop mix some paint to match the color of the car.

Then next option is to replace the panel that is cracked.  Depending on
the panel this is a major endevor.  You have 2 choices with replacing the
panel,

a) use a reproduction all fiberglass panel or

b) try and find an original acrylic panel.

If you decide to go with (a) you can replace the entire body for about $4,500
for the panels, but you will have to paint each fiberglass panel you use.

If you go with (b), you are faced with the problem of the NOS panel not having
faded and the other panels on the car fading.  Consiquently the panels won't
match in color. :(

That out of the way Peter,  I maintain the master Bricklin Registry, a listing
of all known Bricklins.  This information is NOT sold or freely desciminated.
If you would, please email me (privately at jblair1948@exis.net) your name,
address, phone #, VIN, when you bought your car and from whom.  This is
for historical purposes.

John

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ        email:  jblair1948@cox.net
1133 Chatmoss Dr.            eBay id: zebra48-1
Va. Beach, Va                Phone:  (757) 495-8229

Bricklin International VP Publications
Editor/Publisher The Brickline
Quarterly Magazine of Bricklin International

     75 Bricklin SV1 (#887)    77 Spitfire    71 Saab Sonett III