Ford Harmonic Ballancer

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Ford Harmonic Ballancer
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2007 15:54:28 -0500
Hey gang,

I got the following email from a Bricklin owner.  He's looking for a
part # for the harmonic ballancer for his Bricklin as he needs a new one.

Can anyone help?  Rick (HTC), Jim Bricklin1191?

John

----------------

Thanx for the additional info.
It appears that I have to find the number on the original balancer to get
it right. If you know of anyone who has a balancer or can read theirs if
they are in the middle of a rebuild, it would be greatly appreciated.
    Here is what I have found out about balancers.

Balancers before 1981 have a 28 oz. counterweight. Those afer 1981 have a
50 oz. counterweight. Although they all fit, they should not be used.

Most balancers have the Keyway on the crank, lined up Approx. 160 degrees
off  TDC. The bricklin has one lined up near TDC.

An example. In Autozone, for a 73 Mustang w/351W, there are 3 balancers.
2Listed under the "H" motor (dont have a clue what that is) with one having
the keyway near TDC and one having it 160 degrees out. Then there is one
for a "Q" motor (dont know what that is either) and it has the keyway at TDC.

Also, there are different heights and diameters according to what
accessories are to be driven.
    In summary, It is best if I determine the  proper balancer  before I go
any further.  I am going to call Ford tommorrow morning and see what I can
find out.

Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229