Re: top snaps

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: top snaps
From: uunet!hcxio!andyh@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Andy Haber)
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 90 21:30:07 EST
>         Somebody just mentioned snaps for tops on TRs and that reminded me
>         of a problem I'm having with my TR6. Is there anything that can be
>         done about male(?ones screwed into the body) snaps that are loose
>         because of the screw hole being distorted to the point they no
>         longer allow the snap screw to tighten? I don't think oversize snap
>         screws are available, but ya never know. Any snap wizards out there?

It's not all that clear what your describing here, but if the problem is
what I think it is, I would proceed as follows:  Remove the top pin.
Carefully pound the sheet metal around the top pin hole flat using
a body hammer with a dolly behind it.  Once the sheet metal is flat,
you should be able to re-install the top pin and tighten it snug again.
If the screw hole is bigger than it's supposed to be, then you got a
bigger problem, but it can still be fixed.  I would try to braze some
new metal around the screw hole to make it the right size, then sand it
flat, spot paint what the torch burned off and re-install the top pin.
This spot painting can be tricky.  I've never actually done it myself,
I'm just saying what I would do if I had to fix this.y

--
Andy Haber    (andyh@HWD.csd.harris.com)
Harris Computer Systems Division, Ft Lauderdale, FL