Diner TR-3

To: "bellcore!citi!alliant.com!muller"@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Subject: Diner TR-3
From: mit-eddie!gatech!iuvax!bellcore!pyuxe!whs70@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: 26 Jan 1990 9:14 EST
Earlier this month, Greg Nagy rejoined the b-c list with John Lye, but I
believe Greg may never have seen Jim's reply asking about the
Diner TR-3.

>Greg Nagy, purveyor of sports car signatures extraordinaire, and
>John Lye, owner of the "Diner" TR-3 (and other stuff).
>
>I like the movie and the car.  BTW, when they turned it on its side, did they
>do anything special to protect its skin, or its engine oil/gas, or did they
>use a mockup for that?
>Jim Muller

Back in 1983, VTR located John Lye as a result of a lead from
friends at The Roadster Factory.  John sent us a nice letter
telling about his 3 and its role in the movie.  To answer Jim
Muller's question, I quote from John Lye's letter which VTR
ran as an article in our newsletter:

"Incidentally, they didn't treat the car as roughly as it might
seem.  The scene where the car ends up on its side was performed
with the aid of mats and several strong men.  The car received only
minor scratches on the front fender which MGM promptly repaired."

Bill Sohl