Re: Tops - what do you do?

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: Tops - what do you do?
From: mit-eddie!bevsun.bev.lbl.gov!guy@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Aran Guy)
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 90 01:19:34 PST
   Thinking about the possible return of spring and the also possible
   return of my roadster, I'm curious about what you all do about tops
   when you park the car.

 In my Spit I generally leave the tonneau on at all times; when driving,
I unzip it and stash the drivers' side behind the seat. When it is really
pouring, my right leg gets soaked from the water dripping off the tonneau,
but hell, it looks cool to be blasting through the night in a downpour,
with my hair blown back and the drivers side of the tonneau clanking back
off the luggage rack.
 If anyone comments on the wet leg  I just mumble something about dressing
to the right and minor accidents and leave it at that.
 The tonneau leaks along the zipper when parked, so it is pretty much useless
at keeping the interior dry. I have a chunk of .02" plastic in the trunk that
can be thrown over the car when parked at home or at work; conventional car
covers aren't waterproof and tend to puddle water right over the tonneau
zipper.
 The convertible top fits just fine when it's hot and sunny, but when it's
cold and rainy there is no way it will stretch enough to latch in the front
bow, so it practically never gets used.
 The factory hardtop works surprisingly well, but is too heavy for me to put
on without help. (Actually not as much heavy as awkward.)
 Aran Guy  guy@bevsun.bev.lbl.gov