Re: Rebuilds

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: Rebuilds
From: mit-eddie!tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU!garnett@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Roger Garnett)
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 90 08:48:48 EST
ed says >However, Roger Garnett has used a loaded term:
........................................ Looks like it's time to consider
a complete checkout/bottom end rebuild..............
  ^^^^^^^^
[I did say complete, yust cuz' I didn't say it loud don't mean I didn't mean
it... :-) ]

The bad news:
        I thought you had a Spridget. It's a B, so plan on pulling the trans
with it. This also lets you inspect the *removed* driveshaft and U-joints.

General rebuild commentary:
A full rebuild should be in order, as a half-done job isn't worth it- you've
got to take it apart, you might as well plan on doing it right. Everything
should be checked, and you may find a lot can be re-used. Or mayby not...
By the time you add up bearings, gaskets, oil pump, timing chain, pistons,
possible machine work, clutch, etc, it's not *that* much more to add necessary
valves & guides, rockers, and related top end stuff. The cam shaft *may* be
reusable, the lifters wear faster, (new cam requires new lifters) and on and on.
If it turns out that the cylinders, pistons, and head look good, you may get
off with a $100-300 bill. Parts for a more complete *stock* job can start to
go from $400 right on up, depending.  As always, it's a matter of how fast
can you afford to go.

The good news:
        You'll end up with a sound, reliable engine, and you shouldn't have
to do this again for a long time, other than mayby pulling it again to paint
the engine compartment. :-o

And a comment on break-in, from a couple weeks ago- Engine break-in is
still required today, regardless of new oils, etc. Especially important
after a rebuild, possibly less than a new engine. Some things that occur:
- Seating in of parts- "fitting" to each other, and wearing away of "rough"
  machined surfaces. (micro-rough)
- work hardening of parts. Thats right- things like the lifters, cylinder
  walls, valve surfaces get harder from the hammering and contact, which
  extends their life, if there isn't a lot of initial wear and abuse.
- Seasoning of the metal. As the engine goes through heat cycles, stressed
  areas in the castings are relieved. This can cause distortation, which
  adds to areas which need to "seat-in" to each other.
So be good to your engine, and it'll be good to you.
   ________
  /___  _  \        Roger Garnett           (garnett@tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU)
 /|   ||  \ \       Agricultural Economics
| |___||  _  |      3 Warren Hall            | South Lansing Centre For
| | \  |   | |      Cornell University       | Wayward Sports Cars
 \|  \ |__/ /       Ithaca, N.Y. 14853       | (607) 533-7735
  \________/        (607) 255-2522           | SAFETY FAST!