Re:...and Perf. tires and 185' on 4.5's

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re:...and Perf. tires and 185' on 4.5's
From: Michael Lum <mit-eddie!andrew.cmu.edu!ml21+@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 90 16:44:45 -0500 (EST)
after a typical Jeff sized delay...

--
Yes Virginia 185-60 or 185-70 's will fit on 4.5x13 rims and run safely
I have driven these on the street for a year now,and on weekends I

>> If anyone wants to still hear more on personal experiences with the
>> other brands of soft compound tires and the results on and off the
>> track, just ask.
>>
>>OK, Jeff, I'm asking, but I don't know of any other tires that will
>>fit, anyway.
>>phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov

Comp T/A R1's :
 very soft, dry coumpound that was proven this year to be little faster
in soloing than 008Rtu's or R's
also slighty stiffer sidewalls,  yet about the same on turn in response
an excellent tire BUT at 110 each and up ( direct from BFG @
1-800-RACE-BFG ) not all can afford to replace tham twice as fast as
Yokie's
....sometimes faster still
a little better in the rain and less of a comprimise for street weather
driving,  except in mileage they ( don't ) last

Hoosier Autocrossers :
        stickiest DOT tire available
fast, good response, maybe more forgiving on breakaway ( depending on
driving style, etc ), much higher ultimate grip BUT
you can kiss $130 ( and up a tire ) good bye every 4-6 races .....OUCH!!

General xp2000 s :
  stock "highest race tread depth " version sucks, fresh from the they
were waiting to chunk
 a friend of mine made these poor souls last on his car, all blue haze
and no speed in my opinion
careful rotation and trading inside for outside on tires made them last,
but I would be surprised if even he ran them again next year
price: who cares

Soory the topic won't seem to die, but we all need tires sooner or later
and things keep a'changin

Keep 'em between the ditches and rubber side down,

        Wheels to you,
                Jeff