Re: Spridget tops

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: Spridget tops
From: mit-eddie!pwcs.StPaul.GOV!phile@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 90 9:34:10 CDT

> WAYNE WRITES:
> > I'm curious about what you all do about tops
> > when you park the car.  Do you leave the car uncovered, use a tonneau,
> > or put the top up?  When I had a Fiat, the answer was easy.  I'm
> > curious how others with not-so-easy tops handle this.  Does a tonneau
> > provide sufficient protection from a good thundershower, for example?
>
> What I do with my Midget, is that during the winter Nov - Feb, I
> leave the top up and only during those rare 40-50f days do I actually
> put the top down.
>
> During the rest of the year I drive with the top down and if I have to
> park for any length of time (eg at work), I just erect the top, but
> don't bother to fasten it at all, making sure that the sides of the
> top will allow the rain to wash down the side of the car. This way
> it keeps the interior dry in case of a sudden rain shower. Then
> when I when I driove Its just a case of lowering the top, folding it and
> away I go. This may sound like a bit of a chore, but I can usually put the
> top up in about 20 seconds and put it back down again in about 40 seconds.
> At night, I just follow the same proceedure and park the car in the
> drive way.
>
> A friend of mine who has a early Midget with the erect-a-set top, drives
> all year round with no top and uses a tonneau instead, even during the
> coldest weather. I would not recommend it, because at anything above
> 10-20 mph, the cold wind whips around the back of your head and neck.
>
> Gerry ,

I don't know where you guys live, but here in Minnesota, only crazy
people who like misery and rust would take a Spridget out in the
winter.  When its 20 below zero you freeze, when its warm, the *^%$%&
salt will eraidate your car.  phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov
--
Login name: phile        In real life: Philip J Ethier
Phone: 298-5324