Re: Driveline Roughness

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM, mit-eddie!hpfcpe.fc.hp.com!gillam@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Subject: Re: Driveline Roughness
From: Michael Sands <mit-eddie!apple.com!sands@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 90 09:29:43 -0700
The drive shaft imbalance is a real thing and can really detract
from a motoring experience.  I found an interesting article in
an old Hot Rod magazine many years ago.  I tried it with my
car at the time and noticed an improvement.  It is a bit labor intensive.

Buy two radiator hose clamps.  Put one at each end of your drive shaft
and mark the position.  I started with them 90 degrees out of phase.
Drive the car and note how smooth the car feels with neutral throttle.
Rotate the weights, one at a time, and test drive again.  (I got real
good at climbing out, long screw driver in hand, and making a qhick

quick adjustment.  Continue until you have found the smoothest location.
The reason you use two is to adjust the weight not only in location but
in amount as well.

Michael