Emissions in Mass?

To: uunet^hpubvwa.bellevue.nsr.hp.com^hpupora^mikej%sli@uunet.UU.NET
Subject: Emissions in Mass?
From: mit-eddie!sli.com!rdh@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Robert D. Houk)
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 90 01:45:25 EDT
   Looks like HP will move me to the Boston area.  A previous posting asked
   about emissions testing and it got me wondering about what I may run into
   in Boston?

   I have a Lotus Twin Cam Special.  Manufacutred 2-74.  All the smog stuff is
   gone.  Was missing before I got the car.

You should be safe. The limit [used to be, anyways] 15 years, so you don't
have to worry about emissions. You'll still hafta pass "safety" - lights,
brakes, etc. Anyways, any TC engine that can't pass emissions is prolly in
pretty bad shape! (I always had to lean out the idle-air adjust, but then
it passed fairly easily - after I fixed the leaky manifold gasket!).

   Am I in trouble?

Undoubtedly, the state police fascists here like to ticket cars that look
like they can go fast (and the Europa looks like it *is* going fast when
it is standing still!). [Well, OK, it only happened to me once, but it
still left a bitter taste in my mouth. And they are fascists!]

   I have the option to live in New Hampshire, is that a better deal?

Almost anything would be better than the Royale Duchy of Massachusetts.
It might be a bit much of a commute though. A friend of mine who moved
up to NH complained bitterly that she ended up paying *more* Mass state
income tax after moving out of the state (working in Cambridge, Ma),
but I'm not totally sure I believe her.

There sure are some nice cruisin' roads hereabouts, though . . . espe-
cially come October . . . but watch out for wet leaves on the road -
they play [expensive] havoc with Loti at nine/tenths . . .

                                        -RDH