frozen speedo?

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: frozen speedo?
From: mit-eddie!wsl.dec.com!kent@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 90 22:52:17 PDT
It just goes to show -- it never ends. That's why we love our LBCs.

I was tooling along tonight, looked down, and noticed that the speedo
indicated zero. Naught. Null. Nada. You know, needle hard on the peg.
Well, the wheels were definitely moving, so this made me wonder.

Of course, I start groping behind the dash and disconnect the cable, to
see, like, if it's still spinning. Well, I can't tell, because when I
get the cable off, the end pin stays with the speedo! OK, I can see
that this is a sign to leave it for later.

Now it's later, so I pull out the end pin, see that it just seems that
the crimp has come loose, push it back into the cable housing,
determine that the internal cable does indeed still move, meaning the
parts from the tailshaft on must be OK. So I stick the end pin into the
speedo and twist.

You've probably guessed already ... Naught. Null. Nada. Won't move at all.

Any suggestions on what to do, short of running over to the local
speedo rebuild shop (just four blocks from work)? Any ideas what might
have caused it to jam like this?

And just when I'd determined that it actually *was* showing true road
speed, and that my tach is lying...

chris