Re: What brand oil do you use?

To: sfisher@wsl.dec.com
Subject: Re: What brand oil do you use?
From: banta@abingdon.eng.sun.com
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 90 11:33:20 EST
>>& do you mean I should have put non-detergent oil in my TR4 gearbox because
>>of problems with the syncro rings???
>
>Rumor has it.  Apparently some synchronizer rings are coated with
>a compound that the detergent removes, which accelerates wear.  I
>seem to recall that Alfas are the main victims of this user error
>and I don't know whether or not British cars succumb to it.  I
>used detergent Castrol 20W50 oil in my Midget's gearbox, which
>eventually lost first gear (no synchros on that one), but that
>was at 11 or 12 years of age.

I've also heard that some synchros are sintered with some oil that
the detergents leech out and "clean" away.  I thought this was the
problem in British gearboxes.  I'm basing all this on hearsay, but I
figured I'd pass the information along.  Talk to me in a month or two
after I've rebuilt a transmission.

andy