Nightmarish water pump story

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: Nightmarish water pump story
From: "DSTONE, 5-9521, BPR: 237-2322" <DSTONE%sc9@sc.intel.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1991 09:54 PST
     With all this chatter about water pumps, I just had to
     toss in my .02 worth:

     Invigorated with the successes of replacing three
     Sprite water pumps in a relatively short period of time
     (I now fully believe that my cars conspire while
     sitting in the drive to "cycle" with similar problems
     at the same time, much like I've heard that women in
     the same house "cycle" together. Flame on.), I felt
     that tackling the pump on my Audi (das 5 cylinder
     engine), shouldn't be a problem. Wrong, wrong, wrong.
          In their infinite wisdom, those crafty Germans
     decided that the water pump should also be a TIMING BELT
     TENSIONER !  Yes, in fact, the Audi's water pump is
     mounted on an eccentric, so that once it is in, you
     replace the timing belt and rotate the pump to take up
     the slack, all the while ensuring you have maintained
     the proper relationship between all those expensive
     valves, and that odd-number of fragile pistons. Which
     of course I didn't do, so now the relatively easy job
     of replacing the water pump generated the
     never-to-be-attempted-at-home task of removing the
     head. But that's another story.

        Daren "Upon starting I heard such a clatter, that
     I pulled off the head to see what's the matter." Stone