Engine Rebuild continued... cam & other parts

To: ssi!coventry!rmb@ames.arc.nasa.gov
Subject: Engine Rebuild continued... cam & other parts
From: paisley@cme.nist.gov (Scott Paisley)
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 91 11:38:27 EDT
Well, the TR6 engine is in the machine shop, and so far so good, BUT
they said that they would need to weld some lobes on my old cam, and I
said, Not yet, I want to see if I can find something better first.  So
where can I get a *good* cam that's not welded for a reasonable price?
  < $150

Bob Bownes writes:

 >      Replace it. The S2 cam is available from TS imports for $125 + core.
 > It's a nice race/street cam.

Anybody know anything about this cam?  Bob, do you have one?  I
noticed that it requires a core, so I wouldn't be surprised if I saw a
weld or two on it.  I can get my old cam custom done for about
$80-$100 with welding.  (that includes turing too)

 > ->. Some of the tappets are badly pitted too.  Can I just replace the
 > ->pitted ones?
 >      I had the same problem, but the pitted ones were randomly scattered.
 > @ 4.65 ea, isn't it worth replacing them all? I did and am very happy about..

Bob, who is your supplier @ 4.65?  TRF wants $6.25 each according to
the Green price list - 10% for the October sale.

I was planning on ordering most of my stuff from TRF, bearings and
all, does anyone have a better source for engine internals?  I've been
happy with what I've received from them so far.  Great service and I
think their prices are pretty good, but then again, I haven't been
able to shop compare with everybody yet.  I'm not interested in
inferior parts to save a just few $$$ as I really don't want to
rebuild the engine again any time soon.  I don't need a list of
suppliers as that was posted recently, but recent impressions about
part suppliers are welcome!

Thanks in advance.  Here's hoping I'll be able to warm my hands on a
warm TR6 engine REAL soon...  :-)

-Scott