Re: Engine and gearbox vibration/noise

To: muller@alliant.com (Jim Muller)
Subject: Re: Engine and gearbox vibration/noise
From: phile@pwcs.StPaul.GOV (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 91 8:36:58 CDT
Jim Muller writes>

>Flimsy cardboard in a Triumph?

Don't TRs have a composition-board tunnel over the tranny?  Seems I see the
TR shops advertising plastic replacement part.

>If it's a Midget 1500, just forget I said anything.

I think it was.

>you'd want to crawl up underneath, no?  You can check driveshaft bolts
and such that way, no?

No.  The rear has bolts you can check easily.  But we were talking about
checking the U-joints themselves, too.  The front U-joint on a Spridget
is surrounded by sheet metal.  You may be able to reach back from the
front, over the rear tranny mount crossmember, but I really doubt it.

>did the Midget come with a non-replaceable
driveshaft; when it wears out, you just throw the car away?? :-)

Easy to take out.  Drain tranny oil, take out four bolts on rear U-joint, raise
driveshaft above axle and pull it out.  Now try to put it back in!  Factory
book said the guy at the rear does the work, the guy at the front just lines
it up with a screwdriver through the dime-sized hole for greasing the U-joint.
Right.  Lucky for us, some previous owner had enlarged that hole to hand-size.
It was still no picnic, but Sue and got assembled it in about a half hour.

--
Login name: phile                       In real life: Philip J Ethier
Phone: 298-5324