RE:Hot Coils and Cold Gas

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: RE:Hot Coils and Cold Gas
From: btufts@keps.kodak.com (Bob Tufts)
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 91 18:17:33 EDT

Scott's story reminds me of a similar story in my Esprit. I had the car die
about 3 miles from home. I'd crank it , it would start, but die within a few
seconds. I noticed if I kept the rev's up after starting it would run longer,but
still die. I looked at the "fool" guage and it confirmed I still had a 1/4 tank.
Couldn't figure.  Just when I was about to walk home to get my truck & return
I gave it one more try. (after about a 10 minute pause for thought). It fired up
and I promptly put 'er in gear & went. About 1 mile from home she started to
sputter again & I proceeded to do the two-step on the gas peddle (needed high
rev's or it would die.). I managed just to enter my driveway, open the garage
door and get into the garage & it died.  Had to be a fuel problem I thought & a
light
bulb went on!  Got a hose & put it into the right tank & blew on it... gurgle
noises. Put the hose into the left tank and repeat.... no noise..tank dry!

What had happened was the bottom of the right tank (with the sender unit) was
clogged. It was 1/4 full, but going nowhere. The 10 minute wait must have
allowed enough fuel to trickle by to just make it home.

I then proceded to fiil my lungs with air & blow hard into the filler neck of
the tank with the gas. Viola!, just like Drano I had unclogged a "crud deposit".
In a few minutes the tanks equalized & showing 1/8 tank full.

I probably should run something through the system to get the scum off the
bottom of the tanks (if any is left).  This was about 6 months ago and the
strange
thing is the fuel filter still appears clean.

-Bob T.