hif's

To: sol@hoosier
Subject: hif's
From: George_Malits@vos.stratus.com
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 91 10:23 EDT
I've always heard the little valves in the throttle plates refered to as
piddle valves.  My understanding is that they're goal in life is to
prevent you from chopping the throttle too abruptly.  ie:  If you are
wailing down the highway foot to the floor and then side step the throttle,
the plates will slam shut, the manifold vacume will go sky high and the
piddle valves will pop open.  This will let a little more air in and relieve
some of the vacume.  The idea is that even if the anti-polution setup is
working in the steady state, sudden changes will cause transient periods of
high polution.  The piddle valve smooths over some of the spikes.  Solder
them shut if you want your RPM's to drop more quickly on shifts.  They should
not affect the richness of the mixture at all