plastic windows

To: muller@sunrise.alliant.com (Jim Muller)
Subject: plastic windows
From: paisley@cme.nist.gov (Scotty Paisley)
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 91 08:56:17 EDT
Jim Muller writes:

 > What is the recommended procedure for cleaning up the plastic rear window of
 > a convertible top?  Over time, mine has been getting scratched, and slightly
 > hazy from microscratches.

I have heard lots of stories about why a top "fogs" and how to clean
them, but I don't know of a sure fire way of cleaning one.  One of the
fog stories I have heard, is that when condensation forms on the top
at night, and the sun hits that water in the morning, it will leave a
residue that fogs the top.  The rumor says, "if you park in the shade
to let the top dry without direct sun, it won't fog as quickly."
Personally, I don't see how sunlight on a wet plastic window will cause
it to fog.  Actually the British never knew that those plastic windows
fogged, because of their climate!  :-}

I do know that crest toothpaste (not the gel) will take scratches out
of CD's, and I would think that it would help the windows in a
convertible top (as well as fighting tooth decay!), but I have never
tried it as I haven't had my rag-top long enough to have those
scratches appear.  The other thing I can think to try is Plexiglas
cleaner.  When we had our boat, it got many a scratch on the Plexiglas
and this stuff took those scratches right out.  You should be able to
find it at any marina, but be warned that I don't know what it will do
to a plastic window, and the label should be read to see if will cause
harm to such things.

Jim, let us know if you find something that works, because I for one
don't know of a clean [sic] solution to this problem.  :-)

---
"Looking through a telescope, I see clearly, but I miss the scenery,
 A wide angle lens shows me all things, but not without distortion.
 But when I look through my rear window, I see fog."

Scott Paisley        paisley@cme.nist.gov      ..!uunet!cme-durer!paisley