cleaning plastic

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: cleaning plastic
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@dtc.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 91 11:25:24 pdt
Subject: Re: plastic windows
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 91 09:55:13 PDT
From: sfisher@Pa.dec.com

>For serious hazing and discoloration, though -- those brown smudges
>in the edges, and the state where you can only see bright blurs at
>night when the cars behind you have their lights on -- Happich's
>Simichrome is the best bet.  This is a jewelry polish that is also
>good stuff for your SU dashpots and other aluminum surfaces on the
>car (like MG windscreen frames and the aluminized steering wheel spokes

Simichrome works well on decorative plastic bits and pieces too.  I used
it to polish the plastic AC emblem in the center of my steering wheel.
I also used it to polish the aluminum spokes on the steering wheel.  The
problem with using any kind of abrasive on plastic windows is that it
leave the surface uneven which causes distortion.  Still, a distorted
image is better than no image.

I agrees with Scott regarding Armor-All.  It seems to consist mostly of
wax.  It does look good when first applied but tends to dull after a bit.  I
also suspect it draws the oils form rubber and vinyl.  I think glycerin
is a far better rubber preservative, maybe plastic too.

Roland