Re: Air Pumps Blow

To: paisley@cme.nist.gov (Scotty Paisley), british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Re: Air Pumps Blow
From: lupienj@hpwarq.wal.hp.com (John Lupien)
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 91 08:59:07 EDT
> Does anyone out there have a good explanation of what these stupid air
> pumps REALLY do?  (Besides get disconnected) I mean, do they really
> cause combustion in the exhaust for a cleaner burn?

Yes and no. They add some oxygen to an oxygen-deleted mixture so that when
the mixture reaches the catalytic confuser, there will be further oxidation
possible: this allows the 2CO + O2 -> CO2 and the CHx + nO2 -> CO2 + H2O
reactions to take place. Unfortunately, it also allows the N2 + O2 -> NOx
reaction.

--
---
John R. Lupien