Re: previous owner bashing

To: british-cars@hoosier, garnett@theory.TC.CORNELL.EDU
Subject: Re: previous owner bashing
From: william sadler <wsadler@copper.ucs.indiana.edu>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1991 10:47:58 -0500
Oops.  Maybe I shouldn't have said anything.  Though, we did make that
repair at least 15 years ago.

I discovered another problem Saturday morning with my carbs.  The bottom
of the jet on the rear carb had gas on it.  So I took it off the car and
found that the little rubber seal holding the copperr tube in the bottom
of the float bowl was a complete goner.  Naturally, no one makes O rings
that small so non of the hardware or automotive stores had them.  I wound
up taking a flat rubber washer with the proper inside diameter and cutting
the outside (which was too large) to the proper size.  No leaks now, but
I will probably need a rebuild agin soon.

The front carb is the one that is consistently backfiring so I have come to
two conclusions:

(1) the throttle bushings are so worn that they are leaking a whole
bunch of air and causing lean mixture.  When I adjust the mixture on the
rear carb I get results (now that it doesn't leak), but the front carb
does not change at all no matter how far in or out I go (within a 6-9 flat
range)

BTW, the thing runs great at idle, but as soon as I put it in gear it starts
backfiring and has no power at all-- as if one carb wasn't even working.
Could this be timing or distributor related?

2) my second idea is that the vacumn advance line and the disrtibutor
vacumn advance plate are leaking so badly that it is causing the mixture
to go lean.  I am going to take the distributor apart and try reassembling
to see if it makes a difference.  Plus get a new line.

Another question:  should I be able to push the rotor in the right
direction more than a smidgeon and have it spring back like my manual
says?  I can't move it forward at all, or, rather, only a tiny bit.

Also, if there are three marks on the timing cover and the manual
says 20 degrees BTDC which mark should I use?  I thought they were
all 5 degrees apart, but that would mean no accurate way to measure
20 degrees before TDC.  The Chilton's (I know, I know) that I had said
to set the timing to 4 BTDC but my C manual says that is the static timing
and that strobe timing should be 20 D BTDC at 1000 RPMs.

Confused in Bloomington,

Will

(hope the generator didn't cause you any problems)