Pink ping

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Pink ping
From: gerry@speedy.att.com
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 91 12:04 EDT
>I didn't think you could buy "racing fuel" at a regular gas station.
> In any case, buying it isn't the problem; putting it in your car might
> be.  So you can show up with a 5-gallon fuel jug and plunk down $4 a
> gallon for CAM2 to put in your 11.5:1 semi-race motor, or you can
> pour it in your Oldsmobuick Avenuemaster and notice no change except
> that the catalytic converter gets coated with lead and fails to work.

That's what I thought, until I started buying CAM2 from my loacal Sunoco
dealer. The attendant always fills my tank with CAM2, even though the
car is  a street registered vehicle. I looked at the pump and it did not have
any notices saying that the gas could not be pumped into a regular car.
(Although near Pocono Raceway, there is a Sunoco dealer selling CAM2,
who will NOT pump it into a regular car - may PA and NJ laws are different).

Roger writes:::
> You forgot one detail... how much of this stuff do I put in
> the tank?  I have a tr6 with about 11.5/1 which pings, the
> stock plugs are N12Y, the N11Y are colder?

Experiment, start by putting a small quantity and increase the
quantity until it stops pinging. If your engine pings very badly,
then no amount of 104+ will stop pinging. Reset the timing by a
degree or two and start again. As I said in my earlier mail, I spent
1 to 2 months experimenting until I got the combination correct.

N12Y is colder than N11Y, N7Y is a hot plug.

> And what method determined the 33% ratio of 104+...  Have you
> tried any of the lead additives?  I was once told that lots
> of expensive stuff goes into gas to raise the octane now that
> no lead can be used, so adding some lead really increases the octane.

I tried ALL of the additives, starting at the cheapest and working my
way up, the only one I found that worked was 104+. I bought octane booster
made by Wynns (?), and used their recomended doseage, to no avail, eventually
I poured the whole bottle in and it stil pinged (the whole bottle was
supposed to treat 20 gallons !!!- I think this stuff was some form of
fermented gnat's piss.)

Gerry