Brake backing or dust plates?

To: british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Brake backing or dust plates?
From: phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 93 11:39:22 CST
I have a Lotus Europa which uses the Spitfire/GT6 front disk brakes.  Like on
most cars, they have a sheet-metal guard which covers the inside of the disk.
I've got the assembly apart now, and am trying to figure out if I should put
these back on.  Since they cannot be removed or replaced without taking the hub
apart, I'd like to make the right choice the first time.

If I leave them off, I see these advantages:

Better airflow and cooling.
Can inspect the disk surface without taking off the caliper.
Less unsprung weight.  (OK, not much)
Don't have to clean and paint them.

What are the realistic chances of causing a disaster by leaving them off?

I'm planning on autocrossing and limited street/road use of the car.  Rules are
not a problem, I will be in the A Prepared class anyway.  I don't see gravel
roads in its future.

The Met Council autocross rules have allowed this in the Stock class since
Tippi was a pup, but I have never done it.

Phil Ethier, THE RIGHT LINE, 672 Orleans Street, Saint Paul, MN   55107-2676
h (612) 224-3105  w (612) 298-5324     phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov
"The workingman's GT-40" - Anthony Colin Bruce Chapman