Assorted Luantic Ramblings

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Assorted Luantic Ramblings
From: kmwheeler@ualr.edu
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1993 02:04:18 EST
 How many SOLers have named cars?  Some of ours are named, others just
 sort of referred to.  My fiancee's 79 Midget is lovingly called "Biscuit"
 (guess what color the interior is), while my 68 MGB is simply known as
 "race car".  Me mum had a Renault Dauphine name "Funky Winkerbean", and
 my Renault R-10 is "Louis".

 We've only had the Midget for a few months, and have run it very little,
 due to most effort being turned to the front suspension.  It idled rough,
 and I kept blabbering that it sounded like a dead miss.  We went through
 the whole routine, plugs, carb rebuild, dist cap, etc., checking to see
 how much each little thing helped.  The carb was dreadfully rich.  Well,
 it began to run better, but still that miss.  So we pulled the rocker cover,
 and I adjusted the valves.  The PO had the #1 exhaust valve so tight that
 it wasn't closing all the way. Bloody unbelievable.  New gasket, cover
 back on, fired it up--it spat soot and then ran like a champ.  It ought
 to be on the street soon, but we've still got brakes to replace.

 I have a theory concerning the leaking and "consumption" of oil that
 plague LBCs.  I think that oil loss is directly related to the bizarre
 problems that LBCs have.  It seems (and we are currently lab testing this),
 that gremlins live off of oil. Case in point:  during WWII, Army aviators
 had mysterious problems with aircraft, which became associated with gremlins.
 The aircraft of that time period leaked oil (ever looked at a B-17 engine?).
 The gremlins fed off of the oil, and caused problems.  After the war, these
 gremlins, which were of course in England, moved into the various factories
 which our beloved toys were made in.

 My street car's cylinder head had an external crack that ran under the valve
 cover, hence the water in my upper oil.  The cylinder head has been repaired
 and returned to its block, and is running leak free.  Now I have to fix a
 leaky brake cylinder. (And I'm waiting on an idle jet--note that is singular
 one was in stock, the other back ordered)

 We are planning on replacing the sills on our '58 Jagaur MKI this spring.
 any advice before we hack the old ones off?  I'm terrified of incurring
 body sag/flex/damage.

 I hope everyone had a good time over the holidays!  (Our house is filled
 with shining new parts for the race car, Biscuit, and the Bugeye)

-Keith  (Only slightly crazy, but heavily considering running around
         at a Britcar event with an octagonal shield screaming "Once
         more unto the breach dear friends, once more!")

remember what me mum always says:  "Look for the Union Jack when you
                                    buy a car"