Re: '76 midget front suspension question

To: Dean_Zywicki%NIHDCRT.BITNET@CC.UTAH.EDU
Subject: Re: '76 midget front suspension question
From: phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 93 9:58:04 CST
Dean Zywicki writes >

>midget ...front suspension ... lower wishbone.
>the wishbone bushings and was wondering if those are replaceable

Yes.

>if harder bushing (nylatron,etc.) are available for midgets like for B's.

Yes

-------------------------------------
Performance Engineering
3831 Main Street Suite 108
Springfield, OR 97477
(503) 746-9714

This is a one-to-two-person shop (depending on whether Mark can keep an
employee) that is trying to do modern engineering for Triumphs and MGs.
They do some custom work, some in-house development, and some sourcing of newly
developed parts from Britain. They're very hot on Carsan as a material for
bushings, and have decent prices on a lot of parts that the "big guys" resell
for more. Reaching them is a trick -- usually you have to leave a message on
the answering machine and hope they call back.
- Chris Kent Kantarjiev <cak@parc.xerox.com>
-------------------------------------

Carsan is supposed to be the cat's pajamas for bushings:  self-lubricating,
non-swelling and so on.  The problem is it ain't cheap.  As I recall, the
entire front end rubber-replaced-with-Carsan was 150 bucks!  This is only six
sets of bushings, two lower and the one for the top trunnion on each side.
The offset ones (for adjustable camber) from Winner's circle are about a third
as much coin, I think.

------------------------------------
Winner's Circle
19144 Detroit Road
Rocky River, OH  55116
(216) 333-4666

These guys supply go-fast stuff for Spridgets.  They also supply stock parts.
The sway bars they sent me were first-class.  They also make a special
gear-drive starter for A-series.  Full coil-over conversions or Carrara
tube-shock conversions (see WeRace for cheaper ones).  Hard bushing kits for
less $ than Performance Engineering.  They are fast, too.  I ordered a swaybar
over the phone on a Monday afternoon and the thing was delivered UPS (regular)
on Thursday (from Ohio to Minnesota).  - Phil Ethier
------------------------------------

>was looking through a Hemmings last night and I saw an ad that said they
>will recondition a pair of kingpins for $80 with a 5 day turnaround
>time.  I need to do this for the B, not the midget.  I can't remember
>offhand if it was Apple Hydraulics or the other Apple (I remeber two
>being discussed here).

This is the only "Apple" I know about (except for the computor cmpany,
of course):
-------------------------------------
Apple Hydraulics Inc.
610 Nostrand Ave.
Uniondale, L.I., N.Y. 11553
516-481-8111
800-882-7753

New, rebuilt lever shocks for Healey, MG, Triumph, Jaguar, Morgan. We can
rebuild most any lever shock. Links & bushings available. Please add $30.00
core charge per shock if old shock not sent with order. $3.00 per shock for
shipping. Free catalog available.

Spridget lower A-arms- They braze on new bushings "Just like the original".
They were somewhere from $50-100, or they will rebuild yours.

Apple Hydraulics will also rebuild SUs and Strombergs (around $300 the
pair) including flow bench testing (presumably for leaks). They'll just
rebush the throttle shafts for something less than that.
- Chris Kent Kantarjiev <cak@parc.xerox.com>

Phil Ethier, THE RIGHT LINE, 672 Orleans Street, Saint Paul, MN   55107-2676
h (612) 224-3105  w (612) 298-5324     phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov
It's still hip to be octagonal.  Whaddaya call the Lotus emblem shape, anyway?