Re: Garages without mains electricity

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Garages without mains electricity
From: pwv@tc.fluke.com (Pat Vilbrandt)
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1993 14:15:01 -0800
On Jan 16,  9:35pm, "Andrew C. Green" wrote:
> As for recharging the battery, if you're not using the one in the car, I've
> seen solar-powered trickle chargers with a panel that you hang in a window.
> Can't vouch for their quality, however, nor whether they can supply enough
> oomph to do a recharge vs. a maintenance charge. Anyone else know?

For the most part, no.  All of the "set on the dash/hang on the window, plug
into the cigarette lighter" solar panels I've seen in "specialty" catalogs are
only capable of putting out 40-50 mA at 13.6V in bright sunlight.  This really
isn't even enough for a "maintenance" charge.  The minimum acceptable charge
rate for a battery is generally accepted to be a "C/20" rate.  That is, the
"Capacity" of the battery in ampre-hours divided by 20.  An automobile
starting battery (typically 50 ampre-hours and up) or a marine-type deep cycle
battery (100 ampre-hours or so) should be charged at a 2.5 to 4 ampre rate.
 Note that even at this rate it will take about 30 hours of bright sunlight to
recharge a fully discharged battery, which means you'd need 6 hours of bright
sunlight each day for a week if you discharged the battery completely each
weekend.  You can get 50W solar panels you'd need for a task like this, and
you should expect to spend about $10/watt for a decent one.

   Pat Vilbrandt      John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.      Everett, Washington USA
UUCP: pwv@tc.fluke.COM  or: { uunet, uw-beaver, sun, microsoft }!fluke!pwv
ARPA: fluke!pwv@uw-beaver.ARPA