Re: Aston-Martins

To: british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Re: Aston-Martins
From: Garry Archer <archer@hsi.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1993 11:01:21 -0500
rlindsay@amoco.com (Richard O. Lindsay) writes:

> Hi gang.  Are there any Aston-Martin owners in the group?
> I've always wanted one and would be interested in hearing
> any comments that you might have.
>
> Rick

I'm a Aston Martin wannabeanowner :-)

Of all motor cars in the world, I simply must have an Aston Martin someday
before I die.  Any one of the DB series, Vantages or Virages will do very
nicely, thank you, Lord.  Amen.

You know when folks win huge amounts of money in sweepstakes, lotteries or
whatever?... and someone invariably asks, "What are you going to do with
all that money?", and they respond, "Oh, a big house, a vacation, a new car -
I've always wanted a Corvette...".   Well, I've always dreamt of winning
money sometime and going straight out and buying a driveway full of Aston
Martins!  I'd get old ones and new ones!  I always gag when I hear the
various choices of cars wanted by big money winners... sigh...

My best ever chance to own an Aston Martin was about 10 years ago, when
at a local car show a gentleman was selling his DB5.  It was in very good
condition, cosmetically and mechanically, inside and out.  He was asking
about $14,000.  I couldn't afford it, of course.  But I always think about
it as a "missed chance".  That same car is probably worth in the $50,000,
range plus or minus $10,000, these days :-(  At least I got to blab about
British Cars with a real Aston Martin owner.

I have seen an Aston Martin Vantage racing at Lime Rock.  No other car,
before or since, has set my heart pounding as much as that day, roughly
eight years ago.

In an issue of "Classic Cars and Thoroughbreds" at the end of last year
(October or November issue, I think) is an article about a gent in
England doing a body off restoration of a DB4.  (The car also appears
on the front cover, you can't miss it --- its _very_ red!!!).  I read
that article with much jealousy.  He did a fantastic job though.  Spent
almost all his time on it over an 18 month period.

At home I usually have models of all my very favourite British Cars.
Die cast metal ones, like Corgis, etc, or plastic kits.  But the only
Aston Martin model I have is a plastic kit I made of an Aston Martin Ulster
(circa 1934, I think).  I forget the brand name of the kit.  I still have
the box somewhere.  Probably buried in me attic!   The box cover showed
a the car in British Racing Green, racing somewhere.  One cannot find
BRG model paint too easily so I painted mine white and gave it a nice red
interior and silver wire wheels.  It looked gorgeous!  I built it some
10 years ago, but it still sits on a special shelf I have with other models.

But thats as far as my ownership goes.  One day though, one day...

"Like a stately Aston Martin... With all her bravery on, and tackle trim..."

        (With apologies to John Milton who said "ship" in his original quote)

Garry Archer Esq.       archer@hsi.com
3M Health Information Systems,  Wallingford, Connecticut, U.S.A.