Re: How do you break in an engine? (was: In praise of Castrol)

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Re: How do you break in an engine? (was: In praise of Castrol)
From: djd@aurora.arc.nasa.gov (Daniel J. Dasaro)
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 92 14:37:57 -0800
You write:

>Daniel J. Dasaro writes:
> > >From the archives (Nov 1990) comes this story from Dan Mutchler about
> > Castrol motor oil:

>Any truths, ideas, or related facts would be greatly appreciated.
>---
>Scott Paisley        paisley@cme.nist.gov      ..!uunet!cme-durer!paisley

I will provide an update when I can.  For now, I have a brief update in
that Bob has found that my carb is also responsible for my oil-fouling
problem.  A sort of vicious cycle occurred.  We have the Castrol washing
around, which seems to be a bad thing for a fresh engine, plus my front
carb is out of whack, running rich, and sending gas down the unglazed
cylinder walls.  This thins out the oil even more and breakin never happens.

I hope to have the car next weekend and plan on telling everybody how
great it is to actually drive a well-running LBC.  In the meantime, I'd
recommend a 10W-40 Pennsylvania oil for your breakin.  A friend here at
work tells me the ash in PA crude helps a fresh engine.
After 1000 miles or so (maybe more), once everything is seated
satisfactorily, switch to the synthetic (I think you mentioned Mobil 1).

Hindsight being 20/20, I'll probably be able to put all the pieces
together and come up with some sort of idea on how to go about breaking
in an engine.  Then I'll just have to find another LBC and test my
theory, yeah, that's it!

Hope this helps, somehow I find it hard to give advice with a
not-quite-right car but this is what I've heard from folks.

-Dan