Rust repairs, blizzard reflections

To: british-cars@hoosier, datsun-roadsters@hoosier
Subject: Rust repairs, blizzard reflections
From: Wayne Angevine <angevine@badger.Colorado.EDU>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 92 17:14:08 -0700
My Datsun roadster has some rusted inner body sections in the passenger
side front fenderwell.  In particular, a box section that runs
vertically on the inside fender, and the sill.  This is a body-on-
frame car, so there is no structural problem.  I know the proper solution
would be to pull the fender, grind out all the rusted metal, and replace
with fabricated new sections.  I'm not feeling that ambitious, but
I'd like to be able to drive the car in the rain without worrying about
getting water into the perforated sections and causing them to rust
more.  I especially don't want the inner fender or the outer wall of
the sill to rust through.  Is there something simple I can do, like
drilling drain holes and spraying Waxoyl or some such into the bad
sections, or would that just be a waste of time?

I drove the roadster to an RC sailplane contest on Sunday and ran
home just ahead of the Blizzard of '92.  It was raining rather hard
on the way home, and I had the lights and wipers on.  Everything worked
fine and I stayed dry, although the passenger footwell collected a
bit of water.  It would have been a very bad time to be stranded by
an unreliable car - a couple of hours later people were abandoning
their cars along that stretch due to much horizontal snow and zip
visibility.  Maybe I *do* trust the car after all....

Wayne