"Chassis" rebuilds

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: "Chassis" rebuilds
From: "Daren Stone, D2 IE, 5-9521, bpr:237-2322, RN2-C6" <DSTONE@SC9.intel.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 92 12:59:56 PST
          I am thinking of attempting something in the near
     future that I have heard both pros & cons about, so I
     thought I'd toss it out to the collective wisdom of the
     net-folks, & see what advice comes back.
          In my vast stable of automotive *treasures* I have
     a 1965 Jeep pickup. Bone-stock 2wd, 6cyl automatic with
     a big oil thirst, as in both leaking & burning. And
     before anyone chastises me off-list for posting
     something with non-brit content, (we're even now Phil
     ;-),  let me qualify this by saying that this is the
     Redcar tow vehicle & parts hauler. That done, I'll ask
     my question-
          The Jeep has low (100 to 120psi) compression, but
     a recently rebuilt head, so I suspect that the rings
     are worn badly. It burns oil like there's no tomorrow,
     belching clouds of blue smoke at startup & idle. It
     also fouls the plugs on a regular basis & gets about
     8-10mpg.
          To at least keep it driveable, I have bumped up
     the plugs one heat range, installed a MSD ignition
     system & solid-core wires, rebuilt the carb, & run
     straight 30wt + 1 can of Oil-burn-no-more (whatever).
          What I'm thinking of doing is pulling the head &
     the pan, and replacing rings, rod-end bearings, seals,
     timing chain, etc. The reason I do not want to do a
     full rebuild is I could probably swap in a small-block
     Chevy + TH350 for cheaper that I could rebuild this
     lump, and then I'd not only have more cubic inches and
     another gear, but it'd be easier to work on, find parts
     for, etc.
          Any collective wisdom regarding this "chassis"
     rebuild is greatly appreciated.

          cheers-
                 dstone@sc9.intel.com