Symmetrical dizziness, coils, autochokes, j.c. whitless.

To: sol@hoosier
Subject: Symmetrical dizziness, coils, autochokes, j.c. whitless.
From: Kristian Simsarian <kristian@cs.uchicago.edu>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 92 16:43:41 CST

        Late last night it occured to me that I may just
have the plugs aligned 180 degrees out, thus the chambers are
empty when the spark was fired.  When I was hooking up the
wires this difference didn't occure to me.  I reversed
1 and 4 and 3 and 2 (= circular shift of 2) and it started
right up.  However I still haven't cured the bucking problem.

        I still have a coil question: the coil seems to be
2.2 ohms across the terminals, supposed to be 1.3-1.4ohms,
what sort of difference does this make?

        I also notice that there should be 6 volts at the coil
but I observe 12 v between the + terminal and the chasis
ground.  Perhaps I have lost the ballast wire connection
somewhere.  Does anyone with a circa '79 spitfire know
exactly how to locate this wire?  I have never been able
to find it.  It is supposed to be a heavy (?) white wire
from the solonoid to the coil.

        About autochokes..... there is a descrepency between
the Bentley adjusting procedures and the Haynes adjusting
procedures.  This may be relevent only to those that have both
manuals.... but clearence "A" in both manuals (pg 215 Bentley,
and page 107 Haynes, int he editions that cover 1979) is different.
The measurements are the same .020in, but Bentley gives it as
the distance to set the fast idle screw to the high point  on
the choke cam and Haynes gives it as the distance between the
fast idle screw and the base circle of the cam.  The Haynes
measurement seems to make more sense... but I am not sure
either way.
        BTW Anyone have a manual choke set-up off an old
Stromberg they would like to sell me?  TRF and VB sell a
kit for about $70, but it doesn't seem worth that to me.
>From the pictures it looks like an old CD4 manual choke will
bolt on.  I may scrounge junk-yards when it gets warmer.

random comment:

        I walked into J.C. Whitney the other day... (it is about 2
miles away from where I live).  What a scary place.  I wondered why
they had no brand names in their catalogue... well it seems that have
no guarantees on that.  Everything is shrink wraped in on top of
cardboard with their name on it.  Items with the same part number
seemed to vary slightly.  This is the bargain basement of generic
autoparts.  Almost everything was made in Taiwan, if that sort of
thing is relevent to you...  most auto parts comming off the conveyor
belts to eager buyers (ala any other catalogue store) came in generic
plain white boxes. The fellow in charge would pick it up and look at
the ticket and say something like: "#18 your order: brakes". A number
of arguments ensued over the deliveries.  Most people were sent back
to another desk to yell at another person who seemed to be handling
the problems and tossing most of the boxes into a cart that was then
taken to another conveyor belt going the other way.  Though many
people did seem pleased with their white boxes.  Anyway..  caveat
emptor.

        Sorry for the long notes... it is break here and the first
chance I have had in a while to think about these things..

Cheerio,
KTS