Starter rebuilds

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Starter rebuilds
From: "Daren Stone, D2 IE, 5-9521, bpr:237-2322, RN2-C6" <DSTONE@SC9.intel.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 92 10:07:05 PST
     Did somebody mention starter rebuilds ?

     Funny you should ask- guess what I did last night ???

     Redcar's intermittent starting problem was traced by
     process of elimination to a bad spot on the starter.
     When Mr. starter landed on that spot, it was either
     reach down amongst the maze of plug wires & oil cooler
     lines to fit a small wrench on the starter & turn it
     over past the bad spot, or it was push-city. Well, with
     the car all apart in the garage I figured that this would be
     a good time to replace the starter. My first
     inclination to buy a $57 rebuilt unit was negated by
     when a fellow Sprite owner offered me a good used one
     for $5. Now I reckoned that even tho' it works well, a
     $5 starter requires at least an internal inspection and
     it felt like it needed bushings, so I picked up a set
     from Mini-mania for about $3, and dipped into it all
     last night.
          Spridgetly-speaking, the hardest thing bout
     getting into a starter is disassembling the bendix (the
     gear drive). On this model starter (Lucas 35G, stamped
     on the side of the main body), you must compress a
     *very* large spring, which I assume, is there to absorb
     the shock of the starter gear slamming into the flywheel
     ring gear. Once compressed, there is a small retaining
     ring that comes out, and then the entire gear easy
     slides off the output shaft. Note, you only need do
     this if you're going to replace the bushings.
          The end plate of the starter opposite the bendix
     holds the brushes. Remove the inspection cover and you
     can see them. The main terminal that extends through
     this end plate will be insulated from the end plate &
     probably retained in place by a nut. In the case of the
     Sprite, you must remove this nut to take off the end
     plate that holds the brushes.
          Then there are two long bolts that run the length
     of the starter, holding the end caps on the main body.
     Once these are out the ends plates can come off, but
     try to remove the stator and then brush-holding end
     plate as a unit or the brushes will fall inward & off
     the stator.
          Once that end plate is off it's a simple matter to
     pull back the springs that hold the brushes against the
     stator & remove the brushes. As the manual says,
     replacement is the opposite of removal. Except, when
     putting the stator back, you must pull back all the
     brushes *simultaneously* to get it to slide home. This
     is a good time to have a friend with a pair of
     needle-nose pliers handy to help.
          All carefully re-assembled with new bushings & all
     lubed, my 8$ starter performs flawlessly (on the floor,
     that is). I won't know how well it works on the car
     till I get all my cross-flow components back from ye
     ole radiator shop. Ahhh, but that's another story ....

          cheers-
                 dstone@sc9.intel.com