Mucho TR6 stuff: wheel bearings, U-joints & floors

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Mucho TR6 stuff: wheel bearings, U-joints & floors
From: Jeffrey Lo <Jeffrey_Lo@ccm.hf.intel.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 92 10:31:34 PST
It got sunny and I was driving the TR6 more, then boom.  Actually more like
screech.  I was driving home from work and I started getting a terrible screech
from the right rear.  I jacked the car up when I got home and fopund that the
right rear wheel would move 1/4 to 1/2 inch in and out.  Sounds to me like the
wheel bearing is shot.  I looked in the Bentley manual and it mentioned three
special tools needed to replace the bearing.  The Haynes manual even said that
if you couldn't borrow the tools from a "local Triumph agent", that you should
leave the replacement to someone else.  Well, how true is this?  Is there any
chance that I will be able to replace the bearing with common wrenches and
related tools or should I just pull the axle and hub and bring it to a shop?  If
the latter, can any of the SF Bay Area SOLer's recommend a reputable shop in the
south bay?

I'm also thinking that since I'll be pulling the axle that I shjould take the
opportunity to replace the U-joints.  I can't read my archive tape, so could
someone send me the instructions that were posted before on replacing TR6
U-joints?

The other thing I looked at over the weekend were the floors in the TR6.  I knew
they were rusted a bit, but when I pulled up the carpets, what I saw looked more
like swiss cheese than a floor.  It looks like there are several bolts and a
number of spot welds holding the sills and floors in.  Any suggestions on
replacing these?  Maybe a better question is can someone recommend a good book
on restoration which discusses in more general terms getting the welds out and
putting the new floors in?  I think it's time to learn how to weld...

Thanks!

Jeff Lo
Jeffrey_Lo@ccm.hf.intel.com