Re: Tire size and speed calculator

To: phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov
Subject: Re: Tire size and speed calculator
From: gla-aux!glenn@skinner.cs.uoregon.edu (Glenn Austin)
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 92 12:16:16 PST

In Regards to your letter <9204061635.AA10477@pwcs.StPaul.GOV>:
> <Most details removed for sake of brevity>
> F1
> Section Height (inches)
> =E1*B1/100
   ^^^  missing the E
> 4.43

According to the calculator, my '87 Daytona will theoretically do 174+ in
5th gear at 6000 RPM.

Wow!

Now, if I can just find a straight long enough to get it up to speed.  Portland
should do...as long as I get some different tires...

In spite of the fact that it is a FWD car, it is INCREDIBLY neutral in steering.
I was able to take 1 at PIR with just about half throttle in 4th -- or about
85-90 MPH (4000 RPM).  It drifts very well.  The problem that I had was that
if I went into the turn a little hotter, I needed about 1 foot wider road.
Oh well.  If I can get the mismatched tires off (Eagles on the rear, Toyos
on the front) and put some decent rubber on, this car could be a real decent
racer...

Oh, BTW, I ran 40 lbs front and rear.  Nice and balanced (as long as I didn't
try too much trail braking).

| Glenn L. Austin                | "Turn too soon, run out of room.           |
| Macintosh Wizard and           |    Turn too late, much better fate."       |
| Auto Racing Driver             |   -- Jim Russell Racing School Instructors |
| Usenet:  glenn@gla-aux.uucp or glenn%gla-aux.uucp@skinner.cs.uoregon.edu    |